Kwinn Tucker, City Director
The holiday season is here. If you have been wanting to celebrate by doing something special for someone in need, we have a few great ways you can at Cityteam. We have a list of over 1,000 families and over 2,500 children who can use your help that brings hope.
1. “Adopt” a Child or multiple children who need toys for Christmas. You will be provided a child’s first name, “wish list” of favorite toys, and clothing sizes to give you a personal connection with the child you are helping. Click here for more details.
2. Collect and Donate Toys and Food.. Print out these lists of most requested toys and our most needed food items.Please note the requested deadlines so that your donations do the most good this year.
3. Volunteer at one of our Thanksgiving or Christmas events. We have something for all ages, so check out the options by clicking here.
4. Donate financially. Just click here and remember to select “Philadelphia” to keep your gifts local
5. Share this post with your friends and family to help spread the word of all the good you can do to share help and hope with families in need throughout the holidays!
Kwinn Tucker, City Director
My son is four, and he’s just the funniest little fellow. He’s all “kid”—all he wants to do is play. And rain or shine, he wants to play outside most of all. Last year we started teaching him how to zip up his coat. Now, it’s getting cold again, and it feels like he’s relearning from scratch. His little fingers get all tangled up and he gets frustrated, until he gets it, and he’ll glow with pride and charge right outside. With his coat, he doesn’t care how cold it is out there.
Having him in my life has changed the way I look at the world. I’ve always thought a kid in a big puffy jacket is the cutest thing, but now when I see children in their coats I think about their stories—whether they struggled to get the zipper up, and how long and hard they begged to play outside. And of course I think about their parents and how all any of us wants is to teach and protect our kids. “This is how you do the zipper. You’ve gotta bundle up if you’re going outside.”
At Cityteam we have all kinds of wonderful opportunities to help families in our community. Every fall we are blessed with the chance to give new coats to hundreds of children in need. Each child gets just the right size, in their favorite color. They turn to look at a mom or dad who’s as happy as can be to see their own little puffy-coated kid beaming. It’s powerful because it’s so simple, a basic but essential need that we can fill for those who can’t. It’s a gift that gets used every day for months and months. And all our kids can be running around, heading to school, doing kid stuff…and staying warm.
Special thanks to Drive Away the Cold, Auto Dealers CARing for Kids, David Dodge Chrysler Jeep, Miller’s Dodge and Operation Warm for partnering together with Cityteam this year to give hundreds of kids brand new winter coats.
Like our post? Share with your friends!